Supporting the business of fashion &
The Designer Forum has been set up within EMTEX to provide a variety of
business & design support to:
- Freelance Designers & Consultants
- In-house designers
- Design-led Companies
- Fashion & Textile Undergraduates & Graduates.
Operating out of its own purpose built studio in the centre of Nottingham,
the Designer Forum currently runs a number of UK & European funded
projects and has over 450 members throughout the UK.
Designer Forum Projects
east midlands design resource centre - Supported through the East
Midlands Development Agency (EMDA), the East Midlands Design Resource
Centre holds trend publications Carlin, Peclers, Nelly Rodi and Promostyl
as well as over 45 magazines & periodicals.
Access to WGSN - the Internet based fashion & textile resource, is
also available. This is run on an appointment only basis by contacting
the Designer Forum Studio.
the business space - innovative clusters fund (ICF)
An incubator unit providing studio space for new & existing clothing
& textile companies, with 15 individual studios and a communal area
housing up to a further 7 new business start-ups. 'the business space'
provides unlimited broadband Internet access, access to WGSN, communal
meeting & sewing facilities and PCs, desks & storage for the communal
If you are interested in becoming part of this project, further information
& application forms are available now by contacting Sally Denton @
the Designer Forum Studio.
future industry - (part funded through the european regional development
The Future Industry project is a new initiative aimed at supporting new
business start-ups and existing small to medium sized businesses within
the East Midlands Objective 2 area through a flexible package of 'hands-on'
day to day & specialist business support, regular business seminars
/ workshops and access to technology / incubator provision.
new development initiative - (part funded through the european regional
The New Development Initiative is a new project aimed at supporting small
to medium sized businesses within the East Midlands Objective 2 area through
a flexible support package to assisting companies to capitalise on new
markets, adopt new design technology and working practices.
Assistance is available within:
- Sample & prototype costs involved in creating own branded label
collections and product development
- Research & development involved in diversifying into new markets
- Access to specialist support to enable companies to become design-led
and manage the production process
- Assistance with the adoption of CAD / new technology & equipment
and remote working practices.
- Provide links with & a database facility of HE / FE, research
institutions and commercial businesses offering product development
services to aid the adoption of R&D techniques.
design network - (part funded through the european regional development
The Design Network project is a new initiative aimed at supporting small
to medium sized businesses and individual designers within the East Midlands
Objective 2 area to access and adopt new design and technology working
practices delivered within 4 key areas:
- Trend & Market Information
- Trend & Innovation Seminars
- CAD Initiative
- Design Portal Site www.design-online.net
As part of its ongoing career support for undergraduates & graduates
the Designer Forum run a series of 5 high profile industry focused seminars:
- 'Industry Introduction' - An outline of the changing nature
of the fashion & textiles, an overview of design, buying, merchandising
& manufacturing and the key roles they play within modern industry.
- 'Good Design Practice' - Just what is expected of a designer?
We give you an overview of the various roles, the design process itself,
and a practical guide to design protection & copyright.
- 'Design in a Global Context' - Covering the key issues relating
to fashion & textiles in a truly international context, such as
global branding, the Internet, and designing and manufacturing overseas.
- 'Design & Technology' - The future of the fashion &
textiles industry - from true research & development, CAD / CAM,
technical textiles through to smart fabrics & clothing.
- 'What Next?' - What's it like to gain your first position in
industry - we give you an insight. Plus advice on career management,
C.V's & an introduction to the various support available.
The Designer Forum Graduate Events are held throughout the East Midlands
and attract an audience of over 200 attendees per event, for further details
contact the Designer Forum office.
Designer Forum Services
What we offer
- Freelance Directory - A comprehensive directory of freelance designers
& technical staff.
- CAD Bureau - Access to Computer Aided Design facilities & training
- East Midlands Design Resource Centre - Incorporating trend & design
information from leading trend prediction agencies Carlin, Peclers,
Promostyl & Nelly Rodi and WGSN.
- Incubator Unit - For new and existing fashion & textile businesses
- Business Support & Advice - From new business start-ups, freelance
consultancies through to established design-focussed companies.
- Seminars & Workshops - Including Trend Presentations, New Business
Start-Up Workshops & Graduate Events · Career Management
- Help and advice with job sourcing, CVs & career development.
- Access to UK & European Funded Projects - Support provided through
access to projects aimed at assisting our member companies.
- Quarterly Newsletter - Providing technical updates, company profiles,
job opportunities, and Designer Forum update.
- Discount to our members at Trend Presentations, CAD Training, and
free entry into the freelance directory for self-employed designers.
for designer forum events click here...
How to Join
To take advantage of any of the projects or services currently on offer
through the Designer Forum - annual membership to the Designer Forum is:
For individuals, graduates and free-lancers membership is
£25.00 (plus VAT)
For companies that employ less than 200 employees membership is
£50 (plus VAT)
For companies that employ more than 200 employees membership
is £125 (plus VAT)
Membership to the Designer Forum is free to EMTEX members, including individual
designers whilst employed by an EMTEX company.
For an application form / pack just contact the Designer Forum Studio.
EMTEX Ltd (Designer Forum), Designer Forum Studio, 69-73 Lower Parliament
Street, Nottingham, NG1 3BB, T: 0115 9115339, F: 0115 9115345, E: firstname.lastname@example.org